One word can mean many things and is open to a variety of interpretations. It is this that makes the Weekly Photo Challenge so interesting and challenging, just as it says on the tin. This week the prompt is LAUNCH. I try to make it a rule not to look at other bloggers ideas until I have decided what I am going to do, but this week I did see a few of the contributions. People have been very busy and original with their photos and the concept of LAUNCH were in abundance, from a new health regime to hot air balloons. Fortunately none of these were ideas I had in mind but it still left me searching for something different.
- to initiate – get going into a career or idea
- to introduce to the public – book launch
- to throw or propel with force
- to enter enthusiatically into something
- a large open motor boat
Lots of ideas there!
Armed with my camera I set off to Shoreham, the home of houseboats, (Weekly Photo Challenge: Windows) and usually lots of wind and kite surfers. IDEA #1: LAUNCH = surfers launching into the water and into the sky. No such luck, there was no wind so no sign of of a surf board or kite. Drat, that was that idea knocked on the head. Back to the car I went, and drove a little further along the Shoreham coast, still searching for inspiration.
As I pulled into a car park, I spied two guys with canoes IDEA #2: LAUNCH = canoeists launching into the river. By the time I parked up, gathered my camera, paid for the car park ticket, I was too late. They were already in the water.
PING! IDEA #3: I spied seagulls, there is never any shortage of them around and it was good practice to get the camera settings right for fast moving objects.
The young seagulls are easily recognised by their mottled brown feathers and they were flying around with their parents. Now as large as Mum and Dad, when you watch them all together, it is quite clear that the fledglings have more to learn about the art of flight.
My take on LAUNCH this week, is cumbersome, overweight adolescent seagulls launching themselves into the sky.
When there is a launch there is also a landing.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (aditimitra.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (rutheh.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (of 3 Herons) (andreadreamin.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (sophomorejinx.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Launch (Weekly Photo Challenge 2012) (cardinalguzman.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (katharinetrauger.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (passion2read.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (ilovemandaue.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch… of a new healthy lifestyle (maggiephotgraphy.wordpress.com)